I am a centre...
The questions included in this section are designed to answer common queries from the staff at ATHE centres and potential centres.
Information on ATHE
- What does ATHE stand for?
ATHE stands for "Awards for Training and Higher Education".
- Can ATHE qualifications be studied in the workplace?
Learners taking ATHE units/qualifications may be employed or on a work placement. As ATHE assignments are vocationally relevant the work place may provide a good source of information which learners can use in assignments. There will also be cases where observation in the work place may form part of the evidence provided to demonstrate achievement of the learning outcomes and assessment criteria. Centres that plan to use work placements as part of the learning can find guidance in the Delivering ATHE Qualifications Handbook.
- Can we create our own assignment briefs?
ATHE provides recognised centres with suggested assignments which support lecturers and tutors in planning and delivering the specifications. Centre-devised assignments may be used after approval has been given by ATHE. Please contact us for information on the approval process.
- Is there a word count for each assignment brief?
ATHE do not usually specify a word count for individual assignment briefs. If there is a word count it will be specified in the assignment. We believe that learners should produce enough work to achieve the learning outcomes at the standards specified by the assessment criteria so should not be limited by a word limit. However, centres may set a word count if they feel it is necessary for their learners.
- Do you provide marking schemes?
ATHE does not use marking schemes, assessment judgements are made on the basis of the learning outcomes and the assessment criteria provided in each unit. A learner needs to achieve the learning outcome at the standards stated in the assessment criteria. This will mean the learner has passed. ATHE provides sample assignments which include guidance on assessment.
- Can we offer ATHE qualifications in our partner college overseas?
Yes, you will need to apply to ATHE to establish a satellite centre.
The process is normally straightforward and you will need to show how you will have oversight of the delivery, assessment and quality assurance in the satellite centre
- We would like the achievement from our training programme recognised.
ATHE is able to develop qualifications that reflect the training programmes of individual organisations. For more information please contact us with details of the training programme you would like recognised.
- Can we/our college get funding or access advanced learner loans for your qualifications?
The following ATHE qualifications are eligible for Advanced Learner Loans in the 2016/2017 session.
Please see the SFA 2016 to 2017 simplified funding rates catalogue.
For more details or use the links below to see further information on the qualifications available for funding:
Business and Management Qualifications:
- ATHE Level 3 Diploma in Business (60 Credits)
- ATHE Level 4 Certificate in Management (30 Credits)
- ATHE Level 4 Diploma in Management (60 Credits)
- ATHE Level 4 Diploma in Business and Administrative Management (120 Credits)
- ATHE Level 4 Extended Diploma in Management (120 Credits)
- ATHE Level 5 Certificate in Management (30 Credits)
- ATHE Level 5 Diploma in Management (60 Credits)
- ATHE Level 5 Extended Diploma in Management (120 Credits)
- ATHE Level 6 Diploma in Management (120 Credits)
Health and Social Care Qualifications:
- ATHE Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (60 Credits)
- ATHE Level 4 Extended Diploma in Management for Health and Social Care (120 Credits)
- ATHE Level 6 Certificate in International Healthcare Policy (15 Credits)
- ATHE Level 6 Diploma in Healthcare Management (120 Credits)
For further information on public funding including advanced learner loans please contact the ATHE office.
Centre Recognition Process
- How do I apply to become a recognised ATHE centre?
To apply to be a recognised ATHE centre, please go to our Become an ATHE Centre Page.
- How long does the recognition process take?
The recognition process can take as little as 2 weeks if all the required documentation is available and the fee is paid promptly.
- How much is it to register with ATHE?
The fees for registering with ATHE can be requested, please contact us for further information. Please note we do not accept registrations directly from learners. All registrations must be made through a recognised centre.
- How do we register learners?
Learners are registered using your portal account, we recommend that you read the Delivering ATHE Qualifications Handbook before registering learners. Alternatively you can contact the office where we will be happy to help you.
- When do I register learners?
Learners must be registered within 28 days of starting their programme. This is to ensure that ATHE knows that learners are on programme and centres are given appropriate support.
- How do I submit learner results?
Learner results are submitted through your portal account. This process is explained in the Delivering ATHE Qualifications Handbook. Alternatively you can contact the office where we will be happy to help you.
- How long does the External Verification process take?
The External Verification process normally takes 14 days from learner results being submitted and the relevant fees being paid. Certificates are released when the external verification shows that learner work has met the standards for a pass.
- When will our External Verification visit take place?
Upon receipt of the verification fees ATHE will arrange for an External Verifier to contact your centre within 2 working days. The EV will arrange a mutually convenient date for your visit to take place within 10 working days of contacting you. If your centre is based outside the UK the external verification will normally be completed remotely.
Some of my learners have some units which have already been certificated by another awarding organisation and they have achieved some RQF units.
- Can these count towards the ATHE qualification?
These learners may be able to claim credit transfer for the units which have been achieved. You should contact the ATHE Office for details.
Some of my learners are mature students who have been employed for some time. Some have studied at college and participated in company training events.
- Can they claim credit for this work?
These learners may be able to claim credit through recognition of prior learning. You should contact ATHE and we will send a document to explain the process.
I am an international centre...
The questions included in this section are designed to answer common queries from the staff at ATHE centres and potential centres that are not based in the UK.
- How straight forward is it to become an ATHE centre?
Becoming recognised by ATHE is not a difficult process for centres that already have all the necessary structure and processes in place to deliver, assess qualifications to the correct standard. A Health Check will be conducted to ensure these standards are met and the centre will often be recognised in as little as 2 weeks.
- What support will ATHE provide for the tutors in our centre?
ATHE provides supportive documentation including teaching and learning guidance, assessment guidance, induction materials, learner handbooks, suggested resources and sample assignments. International Centres also have access to training materials. In addition subject specialists are happy to answer individual questions from staff in centres and to provide feedback on the assessment of learner work.
- Will the External Verifier visit the centre in person to complete visits such as the Health Check and External Verification?
Visits such as the Health Check and Verification of learner work will normally be conducted remotely. These are usually conducted by Skype and or email. However ATHE also visits international centres and can conduct spot checks on centre practice.
- What are the fees in my country?
Please contact us to request a Fee Structure relevant to your country
- Can we deliver and assess the qualification in our own language?
Our regulated qualifications must be assessed in English unless there are exceptional circumstances. However we may be able to offer customised qualifications in different languages. Please contact us for more information on customised qualifications.
- Are ATHE qualifications recognised in my country?
ATHE is regulated by Ofqual, the regulator of qualifications in England which reports to Parliament. It is also regulated by the Welsh Government for all colleges located in Wales. For this reason many countries recognise ATHE qualifications.
- Can my centre have regional exclusivity?
ATHE does not usually award exclusivity to single centres, however if you represent a large network of centres there may be a possibility for exclusivity of the region they cover. Please contact us for more information.
- Will the UK progression routes apply to my learners?
Yes, ATHE’s progression routes are the same wherever the qualification is achieved.
I am a learner...The questions included in this section are designed to answer common queries from learners studying or looking to register for ATHE qualifications.
Registration and Certificate
- Am I registered with ATHE?
When you are registered with ATHE, a Learner Handbook and ID card will be sent to your college. In the first instance, please contact your college if you have not received these. ATHE policy states that learners are required to be registered within 28 days of starting their course. If you are looking to receive an update on your registration, please fill out our short form and one of our colleagues will be in touch with more information.
- When am I going to get my certificate?
This will depend on your centre. Once assessment and internal verification have taken place at your centre, results have been submitted and the relevant fees have been paid by your centre ATHE usually takes around 14 days to verify learner work and issue certificates. Keep in contact with staff at your centre, as they will be able to keep you updated about when your certificate should arrive.
- How do I get a replacement certificate?
You can request a replacement certificate by completing the following form. This process normally takes ten working days.
Information on ATHE
- Who is ATHE?
ATHE is an Ofqual regulated awarding organisation specialising in management qualifications. Please see the About Us Page for more information.
- What does ATHE stand for?
ATHE stands for "Awards for Training and Higher Education".
- I have a complaint about my centre with regard to ATHE qualifications. What do I do?
ATHE cannot respond to complaints directly from learners unless the centre’s complaints procedure has been fully exhausted. If this is the case you can contact us with your name, date of birth, centre name, ATHE learner ID and the details of your complaint. Please note ATHE can only respond to complaints about centres regarding the delivery, assessment and quality assurance of ATHE qualifications.